Kvennaskólinn, the former women´s college in Blönduós, was built in 1912 and home to a women's boarding school until 1978. When Kvennaskóli Húnvetninga opened in 1879, it was one of four women's colleges in Iceland. Women's colleges prepared young Icelandic women for daily life by offering classes in cooking and handicrafts as well as other traditional school subjects. At first, these classes were offered in local homes and a farm school house at Ytri-Ey, located between Blönduós and Skagaströnd.
In 1901, a school house was built in Blönduós which burned down ten years later. After the fire, Kvennaskólinn was rebuilt and is still standing today. In 1978, the school closed, but the house continued to be used for office space and community activities.
Today, the renovated Kvennaskólinn is used for the offices and activities of the society of Friends of Kvennaskólinn (Vinir Kvennaskólans), the institutions Textile Center (Textilsetur Íslands) and the Blönduós Academic Center (Þekkingarsetur), as well as other community functions. Owners of Kvennaskólinn are local authorities and the State.